Stress Management Services in New Jersey
Stress is a phenomenon that everyone experiences. In many cases, it manifests as a healthy response to change or challenge. However, too much stress can negatively impact a person’s health and wellbeing. That’s why Vanguard Medical Group in New Jersey provides stress management services for patients in need at our primary care locations. If you or a loved one has been experiencing unprecedented levels of stress, our experts can help you find healthy ways to cope.
Signs and Symptoms of Stress
Before someone can manage their stress, they first have to learn how to identify it. However, stress manifests differently for everyone. For some, it might cause excessive eating and sleeping, while others may find they have a decreased appetite and insomnia. Some symptoms associated with stress include:
- Constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or dizziness
- More frequent occurrences of colds or flu
- Aches and pains throughout the body, including the chest
- Rapid heart rate
- Loss of libido
- Hair loss
- Feelings of depression, anxiety, aggressiveness or being overwhelmed
- Mood swings that may be associated with irritability and/or anger
- Social isolation and feelings of loneliness
- Trouble concentrating or recalling things from memory
- Negative mindset: unable to see the positive – only the negative
- Anxiety, constant worrying, and/or racing thoughts
- Poor judgment in a variety of situations
- Eating too much or too little
- Changes in sleep patterns, such as sleeping more or less than normal
- Procrastination or neglecting responsibilities
- Relying on tobacco products, alcohol, or drugs to wind down
- Isolating from others
- Displaying nervous habits like pacing, nail-biting, and more
Treating and Managing Stress
After recognizing the signs of stress, the next step is to evaluate the stressors, which may be the people, places, and situations that cause stress. Stressors can be financial, social, work-related, family-related, and much more. Our medical professionals are here to listen and connect you with resources to treat and manage stress.
Vanguard Medical Group offers a variety of services that can assist in stress management. These services include:
Our health care providers can help connect you with a therapist/counselor, or a behavioral health care coordinator who will offer personalized assistance in meeting your needs.
In cases where medications are appropriate as part of a comprehensive plan to manage stress, anxiety, and depression, our medical providers are here to help. Your health care provider may make recommendations regarding medications or may refer you to a psychiatrist or behavioral health prescriber as needed. If a referral is needed for medications some of our locations have behavioral health care specialists on-site.
The Vanguard Medical Group health care team can offer referrals to community-based programs, like support groups, substance abuse programs, food banks, meals on wheels, etc.
Stress can sometimes affect a person’s eating habits. In addition, a healthy, balanced diet has been shown to help people manage their feelings of stress. To help patients adopt healthy eating habits, Vanguard Medical Group offers a range of nutrition services, such as:
- Diabetes counseling
- Lifestyle counseling
- High cholesterol and hypertension dietary management
- Acupuncture promotes the body’s innate healing process. , It can be used to decrease stress and promote relaxation. Acupuncture can be included as part of a comprehensive plan to treat depression, anxiety and insomnia.
Relieve Your Stress Today
For those who are experiencing stress and having difficulty managing it, Vanguard Medical Group primary care providers have the know-how to help at its primary care locations across northern and central New Jersey. To book an appointment and receive one or more of our stress management services, contact us at an office near your or visit one of our many offices in New Jersey today.