Promote wellness, improve energy, prevent illness and treat various medical conditions
Harnessing your body’s natural healing process.
For the past 2,000 years, acupuncture has been successfully used in Eastern medicine to treat a variety of conditions. More recently, Western medical providers have come to recognize the benefits of acupuncture as an effective treatment option for many conditions. It can be used alone or in concert with other medical practices to prevent and promote emotional and physical wellness.
Medical acupuncture promotes your body’s natural healing process. With the insertion of fine needles and the application of electrical stimulation at precise points, acupuncture stimulates your body to release special hormones that relieve pain, reduce inflammation, improve circulation, and increase your sense of well-being. In the hands of a well-trained physician, medical acupuncture can be used to promote wellness, improve energy, prevent illness, and treat various medical conditions.
Medical acupuncture can be part of comprehensive treatment at Vanguard Medical Group.
Acupuncture may be used alone or in combination with conventional medical therapies to create a comprehensive treatment plan. At your initial acupuncture appointment, the doctor will evaluate your condition and decide if you are a candidate for acupuncture therapy. Sometimes testing, such as blood tests or x-rays, also may be used to make a diagnosis.
What does medical acupuncture treat?
The World Health Organization recognizes strong evidence for the use of acupuncture to treat:
- Pain (headaches, neck pain, knee pain, back pain, facial pain, arthritic shoulder pain, postoperative pain, rheumatoid arthritis, sciatica, sprains, elbow pain)
- Gynecologic Problems (painful menstrual periods, menopausal hot flashes)
- Digestive Disorders (gastritis and hyperacidity, nausea/vomiting, stomach spasms, pain from gallstones)
- Urinary Disorders (pain from kidney stones)
- Dental Pain (including TMJ)
- Cardiovascular Disorders (high blood pressure and low blood pressure)
- Mood Disorders (depression)
- Allergies (hay fever)
In addition, acupuncture can offer relief from asthma, anxiety, insomnia, earache, sore throat, fibromyalgia, gout, shingles, premenstrual syndrome, tobacco dependence, irritable colon, and cancer pain.
Vanguard Medical Group offers medical acupuncture at select locations. Insurance coverage varies on acupuncture services. Check with your provider.