Gynecology is the branch of medicine that focuses on women’s reproductive health. This includes care of the vagina, uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and breasts. At each of Vanguard Medical Group’s 10 locations across New Jersey, we offer routine office based gynecological care through our knowledgeable and dedicated providers, who are in tune with women’s unique healthcare needs. From routine preventative examinations to treatment for serious conditions, we make receiving gynecology care simple and convenient for women of all ages.
Conditions We Treat
At Vanguard Medical Group, we diagnose and treat a variety of gynecological conditions. Some of the most common conditions we see include:
- Menopause: Marking the end of women’s menstruation cycles, this biological event usually occurs between the ages of 40 and 60.
- Ovarian cysts: Ovarian cysts are relatively common and usually non-cancerous. These fluid-filled sacs form inside of women’s ovaries, often developing when an ovarian follicle swells instead of releasing an egg.
- Uterine fibroids: As the most common type of benign muscular tumor to affect the female reproductive system, nearly 30% of American women between the ages of 30 to 45 have uterine fibroids.
- Sexually Transmitted Infections: Symptoms of sexually transmitted infections can include pelvic pain, vaginal discharge, or painful urination. Some sexually transmitted infections have no symptoms and can be picked up on a routine gynecological exam.
- Menstrual Irregularity: Irregular or heavy periods can occur at any point in a woman’s reproductive lifestyle and have a variety of possible causes and treatments.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome: Also called PCOS, is a condition caused by hormonal imbalance that can cause missed periods, excessive hair growth, acne, or abnormalities in blood sugar and cholesterol.
- Pelvic Pain: Many women experience lower abdominal or pelvic pain that can be dull or sharp, constant or intermittent. There are a variety of possible causes and treatment is usually directed depending on the underlying cause of pain.
Some of these conditions, like ovarian cysts or uterine fibroids, can be asymptomatic. But other conditions can cause overlapping effects, like heavy menstruation, painful sex, lower back pain, nausea, vomiting, and infertility. If you are experiencing any of these worrisome symptoms, the women’s health providers at Vanguard Medical Group will help get to the root of your problem.
Some gynecological conditions and early-stage cancers produce no noticeable symptoms. This is why regular gynecological visits are so important. During a typical appointment with one of our providers, patients will undergo one or more of the following preventative procedures:
- Speculum exam: Using a medical tool called a speculum, the doctor will examine your vagina and cervix.
- Pap smear: This test uses a small brush to collect cervical cells. These cells are sent to a lab to test for abnormal and cancerous cervical cells.
- Internal bimanual exam: This is part of the gynecological physical exam and is an examination of your uterus and ovaries. The doctor inserts two gloved fingers into your vagina and pushes on your lower abdomen to examine your uterus and ovaries
- Breast exam: This exam checks for lumps or other breast abnormalities.
No matter what condition you’re facing, the knowledgeable team at Vanguard Medical Group will provide you with dependable, quality care. At our offices, our physicians will take individual patient histories, perform the necessary examinations, and run tests to develop personalized care plans.
Gynecological Care at Vanguard Medical Group
Since our inception in 2012, Vanguard Medical Group has been providing quality, compassionate medical care to the state of New Jersey. With ten convenient locations, you can request an appointment with one of Vanguard Medical Group’s licensed physicians and take the necessary steps to maintain your gynecological health. If you have any questions about our gynecology services, contact us today.