Gastroenterology Doctors in New Jersey
If you’re experiencing stomach pains, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, or other symptoms that may indicate stomach problems, it might be time to visit a gastroenterologist. Vanguard Medical Group is an independent primary care group practice in New Jersey that’s ready to help you take control of your health. When you come in for your visit, you will meet with Dr. Peter Heit, M.D., who is dedicated to making your appointment a comfortable and knowledgeable experience so you can get the care you deserve.
What Is Gastroenterology?
Gastroenterology is a medical discipline that’s devoted to your entire digestive system. Your gastrointestinal (GI) system is responsible for providing the energy you need to live your everyday life. A collection of organs that make up your gastrointestinal system such as your pharynx, esophagus, stomach, liver, and more are what allow your body to digest, absorb, and remove elements of your food that give you the nutrition you need.
Many symptoms could indicate a variety of stomach issues present in your body. Some symptoms of a GI system disorder include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Gas and bloating
- Stomach pains
- Difficulty swallowing
- Unexplained bleeding
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, make an appointment at Vanguard Medical Group.
Classifying Gastrointestinal Disorders
Symptoms of a gastrointestinal disorder can indicate that you could have anything from mild heartburn to hepatitis C. There are two types of gastrointestinal disorders, including:
- Functional: Functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGD) define conditions in which the GI tract looks normal physically, but there are issues with its functionality.
- Structural: Structural gastrointestinal disorders (SGD) are caused by visible abnormalities in the GI system’s structure or tissues.
Gastrointestinal Conditions We Treat
At Vanguard Medical Group, we offer comprehensive evaluations and effective treatment options for all kinds of digestive disorders. Some common conditions we will diagnose and address include:
- Abdominal pain: Symptoms include pain in your abdomen and can be caused by constipation, food allergies, food poisoning, viruses, and more.
- Acid reflux: This brings on burning chest pain (heartburn), which is caused by stomach acid that flows upward into the esophagus.
- Celiac disease: This is caused by an abnormal immune response that will damage the small intestine in response to consuming gluten.
- Crohn’s disease: This condition inflames the digestive tract and leads to pain, fatigue, weight loss, and symptoms of malnutrition.
- Ulcerative colitis (UC): Developing slowly over time, UC causes inflammation and ulcers or sores in the digestive tract.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): GERD is a chronic form of acid reflux.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): This is a common disorder that causes weight loss, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, iron deficiencies, unexplained vomiting, and discomfort.
- Lactose intolerance: This condition is the result of a deficiency in the lactase enzyme, causing an inability to digest lactose found in dairy products.
Dr. Heit also encourages patients to be proactive about their GI system health through education and knowledge. With a focus on providing patients with preventative measures, Dr. Heit offers colonoscopy screening services to all of our patients.
Colonoscopy and Upper Endoscopy
Colorectal cancer is the second-most-common cause of cancer death in the United States. Yet it is detectable, preventable and curable. Screening colonoscopies are the best way to prevent this disease. Talk with your provider at Vanguard Medical Group about colon cancer screening if you are 45 or older or if you have a family history of colon cancer or polyps.
Other digestive issues may be identified using an upper endoscopy test. This screening allows your provider to view your esophagus, stomach and upper part of the small intestine. Your doctor may use an endoscopy to evaluate stomach pain, ulcers, chronic constipation or diarrhea, and other ailments.
Seek Gastroenterology Care in NJ Today
Vanguard Medical Group is here to provide our patients in the New Jersey area with advanced technology and a patient-centered model of care. With several locations across New Jersey, including Verona, North Haledon, Lincoln, Jersey City, Randolph, Cranford, Glen Ridge, Emerson, and Denville, you can choose a location that works best for you. If you’re ready to start managing your gastroenterology symptoms, request an appointment today.