Gastroenterology Diagnosis and Treatment in Northern New Jersey
Gastroenterology is the medical discipline devoted to your digestive system. If you are experiencing recurring stomach aches, extreme nausea, constipation, diarrhea, or other symptoms of a gastrointestinal (GI) disorder, a gastroenterologist can help. At Vanguard Medical Group, these services are provided by Dr. Peter Heit, M.D., out of our office in Denville, New Jersey. Request an appointment to seek treatment today.
What Is Gastroenterology?
Your gastrointestinal system is comprised of a collection of organs responsible for providing you with energy. Together, the following organs move food through your body, digest it, absorb nutrients, and remove the remaining waste:
Classifying Gastrointestinal Disorders
Gastrointestinal system disorders comprise everything from mild heartburn to hepatitis C. Researchers break them down into two types; functional and structural gastrointestinal disorders. Functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGD) are unrelated to a structural or tissue anomaly. In other words, the GI tract looks normal, but the problem stems from its functionality. Meanwhile, structural gastrointestinal disorders (SGD) are caused by a visible abnormality in the system’s structure or tissues. Symptoms of GI system disorders include:
- Gas and bloating
- Stomach and/or pains
- Difficulty swallowing
- Unexplained bleeding
Gastrointestinal Conditions We Treat
Led by the expertise and experience of Dr. Peter Heit, M.D., we offer comprehensive evaluations and effective treatment options for a variety of digestive disorders. Common conditions we diagnose and address include the following and more:
- Abdominal pain: Pain in your abdomen can be caused by a variety of conditions, including constipation, food allergies, food poisoning, viruses, and more.
- Acid reflux: This common issue brings on burning chest pain, or heartburn, which is the result of stomach acid flowing upward into the esophagus.
- Celiac disease: This disorder is caused by an abnormal immune response that damages the small intestine in response to the consumption of gluten.
- Crohn’s disease: This is an inflammatory bowel disease that inflames the digestive tract, leading to pain, fatigue, weight loss, and symptoms of malnutrition.
- Ulcerative colitis: This illness develops slowly over time and causes inflammation and long-lasting ulcers or sores in the digestive tract.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease: Also known as GERD, this is a chronic form of acid reflux.
- Irritable bowel syndrome: Also called IBS, this common disorder causes weight loss, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, iron deficiencies, unexplained vomiting, and discomfort.
- Lactose intolerance: This disorder is the result of a deficiency in the lactase enzyme and causes an inability to digest the lactose found in dairy products.
Seek Gastroenterology Treatment Today
If you are worried about your digestive health, discuss your concerns with Dr. Peter Heit, M.D., at our office in Denville, New Jersey. For more information about our gastroenterology care, contact our Vanguard Medical Group Denville office today at 973.627.7570 or request an appointment.