Annual Wellness Visits in New Jersey
Annual wellness visits are important. They help ensure potential health issues are identified in a timely manner and you receive the treatment you need. With offices throughout northern and central New Jersey, it’s easy to schedule an annual wellness visit at Vanguard Medical Group in locations that are most convenient for you. Learn more about why annual wellness visits are so important and the services we offer.
Annual Wellness Visits: An Important Part of Wellness
A lot can happen over the course of a year; one of the best things you can do is go to your annual wellness visit. Regardless of age or health status, an annual wellness visit is essential to maintaining good health and can be done at your family practice. It’s also a chance to establish and maintain a meaningful relationship with your primary care provider. The more familiar your provider is with you and your lifestyle, the easier it may be for them to make recommendations that truly address your needs. This may include a discussion about the following topics:
- Family history
- Mental health
- Medication management
- Lifestyle changes
- Exercise routine
- Nutrition recommendations
This visit is also vital to maintaining up-to-date medical records. Your medical records serve as a history of your health during your lifetime, and any changes related to your wellbeing can be noted for future reference.
What Happens During an Annual Wellness Visit?
Vanguard Medical Group takes a personalized interest in each patient. At an annual wellness visit, our providers will evaluate your overall health and address any concerns you may have. They’ll also emphasize the importance of prevention and healthy habits. An annual wellness visit typically includes the following:
- Vital sign monitoring: Your temperature, blood pressure, heart rate, and other vital signs are wellness indicators. They serve as a baseline and can point toward a potential issue.
- Physical examination: A physical examination lets your provider spot potential issues at a glance.
- Laboratory tests: Your doctor may order tests that could identify underlying disease. The tests screen for blood glucose levels, cholesterol, and other indicators.
- Vaccinations: During this exam, your provider will ensure your vaccinations are up to date.
- Update medications: Subject to your current health and any changes that have occurred since your last exam, your provider may recommend medications or update your prescriptions.
- Screenings: Depending on your age, health, and other factors, your provider will let you know when it’s time to schedule annual screenings. These may include tests for cervical, colon, prostate, lung, or breast cancer.
During this visit, the doctor may help you set some health goals, and provide guidance related to any concerns you may have about your health. If you need a referral to a specialist, our primary care providers can assist with this as well.
Schedule Your Annual Wellness Visit
Scheduling an annual wellness visit is one of the best things you can do for yourself over the course of the year. Vanguard Medical Group serves patients in locations throughout northern and central NJ. Request an appointment today.